Thursday, March 8, 2012

Grandma Stock

Guess if this is a Grandma's blog, I can blog about MY Grandma Stock. (also odd to me now that we would have called her Grandma Stock instead of something more intimate!) I have been doing some family research recently and found out something new about her, and I remember so little about her, that it makes it special. She died in on August 28, 1968, just shy of my 11th birthday. Certainly too young for a little girl to lose her Grandma (my mom was 38, WAY too young to lose her mom).

I have a few precious items of hers, and one gift she gave me that I remember. It is a bank, a rectangular metal box with a lifting lid and an awesome unique key. I kept loose change in it, and a few other treasures through the years, like rings and earrings that I didn't want to lose. Mom told me that she probably ordered it from a catalog and had it mailed to her. She didn't get to town to shop very often, so she did a lot of catalog shopping. Seems kind of cool to me that she would have spent time looking through catalogs (much like I do now) for gift ideas for her little grandchildren. (she had 32 of them)

Someday I'll pass it on to one of my kids, or grandkids. Don't know if it is something they will care about or appreciate - but isn't that the way life goes? This goofy life history book that I am working on is another one of those things to pass on. I asked Jeff if he thought anyone would ever read it. He said Claire would! Here's hoping!!

Anyway, I love you Grandma Stock!

No comments: